x 253mm x 38mm
– Red LED backlight
– Blue LED backlight
– White LED backlight
The noticeable different and rather disappointing – unlike the CM Storm Trigger, the CM Storm Trigger Z had the mini USB port from its predecessor replaced to a USB 2.0 port for connection to your PC, but it no longer comes with the 2 extra USB 2.0 port and the 5V DC connector port.
The included arm rest is treated with rubberized coating for an improved experience to the touch and multiple large rubber feet to improve the grip to your desk. The only thing we don’t like about rubberized surface is that it needs to be taken care properly, otherwise it will worn out and turns unpleasantly sticky – which is not a good thing.
The LED backlit is available on each and every keys on the Trigger Z upon pressing the turn on backlit function key, except for the windows key lock indicator F12 key that on lights up when the windows key lock is triggered.
There’s 5 level of brightness for the keyboard which you can adjust to suits your needs, except for the windows key lock indicator (F12) and the indicator LED that stays at the same brightness all the time. It’ll be great if the brightness of these LED can be adjusted as well.
The interface of the keyboard software is pretty simple and straight forward we’d say. To setup a macro, simply click on any key on the keyboard image and you will be prompted with a list of macro options on the top right of the interface:
- Default key will restore the targeted key to its original function
- Single key allows you to set a targeted key to a single key press, pretty similar to the warkey concept used by DotA players.
- Advanced allows you to set a targeted key to perform common tasks such as volume up/down, minimize to desktop, etc.
- No function will remove the programmed macro on a targeted key
- Launch program allows you to set the targeted key to launch certain programs when pressed
You can program up to 15 macros on each profile, making the total of 75 macros available.
At the settings tab, you can configure at such where the profile is applied based on the application launched.
The interesting part here is that the macro profiles are stored on the on-board memory of the keyboard, meaning that you don’t have to reconfigure the macros when the keyboard is plugged into a different PC.
The software also allow you to backup your macro profiles to your PC. This is very convenient in such where you need to switch to a different profile that doesn’t exists in the keyboard memory without having to delete the existing macro profile that you still need for other purposes.
The macro recording function of the software allows you to record a combination of key press which can be then assigned to a targeted key, this can be recorded on the fly without having to leave your current task/ gameplay just to record the macro. This is very ideal for fast paced actions such as buying weapons in Counter Strike, DotA, etc where the actions are triggered by shortcuts.
SRP of 395 MYR might be a little pricey but the CM Storm Trigger Z has been a good solid gaming keyboard in overall – metal support plate to reduce flexing, 64 KRO which is plenty much enough to even gamers, on-board memory to store up to 5 macro profiles etc. Still, CM’s decision on removing the USB 2.0 hub for this revision is left questionable as it is a very useful function for users to access their USB devices easier.
- Solid & Sturdy built quality
- Adjustable brightness of the backlit LED
- Durable braided and gold plated USB cables
- Detachable arm rest
- Large rubber feet providing exceptionally well grip to the desk
- Macro profiles are stored on the keyboard, works on any PC
- On the fly macro recording function
- Simple but useful keyboard software
- Doesn’t inherit the USB 2.0 hubs from it’s predecessor
- Plastic clip on structure on the arm rest might break if not handled properly – it’s plastic
- Rubberized surface gets sticky over time if not taken care properly
- Unclean paint job on certain key caps
- Rather pricey
At the end of this review, the CM Storm Trigger Z is awarded with our Silver Award.