Ubisoft has announced a new collaboration with various publishers, authors, and illustrators around the world to expand upon the universe of Assassin’s Creed.
Essentially, the title is getting professionals around different sectors to spice up the narrative and storylines of the franchise through newly licensed novels, manhuas, webtoons, mangas, graphic novels, and podcasts. For starters, Aconyte Books, Editis, and Starfish will be in charge of original novels in languages of English, French, and Chinese while on the comics and graphic novels, Gelnat, Dark Horse Comics, and Ulab are the ones taking the job up within the same language scope. Meanwhile, Ximalaya will be launching the 1st Assassin’s Creed narrative podcast while Korea’s Redice is the one producing the webtoons.
To make things less confusing, Ubisoft is classifying all these new media products into 3 categories: Classics which are direct story adaptation from the video game counterpart, Chronicles that features iconic Assassins within the storyline of new adventures and lastly, Originals consists of everything new – protagonists, time periods, etc. Here’s a summary of the upcoming titles spanning across these categories.
- Blade of Shao Jun [Manga, Originals]: A griping manga adaptation of Shao Jun’s story from Assassin’s Creed Chronicles China. Readers can unveil a tale set in 1526AD, where faced with turmoil and the decimation of her comrades, Shao Jun has become China’s last Assassin. After escaping to Europe, she has now returned alone to her homeland. Her purpose–vengeance.
- Dynasty [Manhua, Originals]: First launched as a webcomic in China by local development partner ULAB, Assassin’s Creed Dynasty has already garnered more than 150 million views online, and ranked top 3 of the Wuxia genre on Tencent platform. It will soon be available in other territories in paperback. Readers will be able to follow the adventures of Li E, an Assassin trying to save the Tang Dynasty from a civil war.
- Valhalla: Blood Brothers [Manhua, Chronicles]: Fans will soon be able to discover the epic tale of two brave Viking brothers in this manhua set in the world of Assassin’s Creed Valhalla, not long before the exploits of Eivor the Wolf-Kissed.
- Valhalla French [Graphic Novel, Chronicles]: Glénat Editions will release this original graphic novel in Fall 2021 in France. Readers will discover the tale of an aspiring Assassin and a Christian monk, as they set out on a quest that will take them from Ravensthorpe to the mystery-filled heights of Scotland.
- Fragments Young Adult Trilogy [Novel, Originals]: Fragments is a new young adult book series developed in partnership with the French publishing house Editis. This action-adventure historical fiction saga will feature teens caught up in the centuries-old Assassin-Templar feud and explore the nature of the relationship between the siblings. Each book in the series will take readers to a different time period and location, with new protagonists. The first volume is set in 19th Century Japan, the second in 13th Century Scotland, and the third in 17th Century France.
- The Jade Seal Collection [Nvel, Originals]: From the Zhou Dynasty (4th Century BC) to the Ming Dynasty (17th Century), this collection expands our franchise through a range of ten novels exploring Chinese history at large. Emperors, courtiers, legendary martial artists, poets, philosophers, and many other important figures from Chinese history will play their part in this multi-secular fight. New Assassins, but also new arch-enemies will join the ranks of our franchise from these epic novels written by six well-known Chinese writers and soon to be available in China.
- The Ming Storm [Novels, Chronicles]: Written by bestselling Chinese author Yan Leisheng, this novel is the start of an action-packed trilogy set in 16th century China featuring Shao Jun, a young Assassin and already a fan favorite from the franchise as the main protagonist of the Ubisoft’s Assassin’s Creed Chronicles: China video game. Aconyte Books will publish the novel in the US and Canada on June 1, 2021.
- Turbulence in the Ming Dynasty [Podcast, Chronicles]: Developed and broadcasted by China’s leading podcast platform Ximalaya, this audio adaptation of the Ming Dynasty novel is voiced by a first-rate cast from the Chinese film industry, including Liu Yan as Shao Jun. Enriched with audio FX and a moving score, this podcast is the perfect format to become fully immersed in China during 16th Century Ming Dynasty.
- Webtoon [Originals]: Korean webtoon that will serve as a sequel to Assassin’s Creed Black Flag and expand Edward Kenway’s storyline. It is currently in development with partner Redice.
More info such as the publishing line can be found through the new website set up by Ubisoft.